|Last Edited 12/13/13||
Orrville Fire Department
CONTACT US if you
The Firefighter of the Year award is sponsored by the Orrville Area Chamber of Commerce and is the highest tribute that can be awarded to an Orrville firefighter. All members of the fire department are eligible to be nominated for the award. The winner is chosen by a committee consisting of the last three recipients of the award. His name will appear on a plaque at the fire station.
As early as 1855 the residents of the area had banded together to fight fires. On December 12, 1872, the Dot Fire Engine Company was organized with 36 volunteer members. At that time, the firemen manually pulled a hand pumper to the scene of a fire. On December 14, 1874, the name of the group was changed to the Monitor Fire Company. From the days of the bucket brigade and hand pumper, the firefighters of Orrville have progressed through steam pumpers and horse-drawn equipment to the modern, mobile department which responds quickly to an alarm. The building at 223 North Vine Street was dedicated in 1967, and is now known as Orrville Fire Station #1. Fire Station #2 at 777 North Crown Hill Road is newly renovated and includes a new three-bay garage, conference room, and restrooms. Today's department has a full-time fire chief and 40 paid on-call volunteer officers and firefighters.